it's been quite some time since my last genuine beauty post. truth is: i was feeling uninspired...
i nearly choked on my spit.
granted, i've been out of the beauty loop for a while, but my impression of Stila had always been of demure "white girl colors" of pinks, roses, nudes and plums...and those messy pump-lipgloss brush pens. but BOY, was i wrong!
after reading some initial reviews on Makeup Alley, and considering a "B-" review from my homie Karen at Makeup and Beauty Blog, I was skeptical. but i popped over to Sephora to check out these so-called Long Wearing Lip Colors...and OMG - it was love at first swatch.
naturally, the 3 shades that interested me were all in a Matte finish. but we all know the Cardinal Rule of Lippees: Long Wear + Matte Finish = Sahara Desert on the lips.
but i was stupified: this product ACTUALLY lived up to it's claim that it doesn't feel drying on the lips! BUT, I think there are a few things that need to be clarified. for example, the Stila site says this is: A lipstick and lip gloss all in one that boasts extended wear while keeping lips feeling soft and smooth - never dry. The secret is a blend of patent-pending polymers that provide long-lasting wear with rich pigment that glides on like your favorite gloss.
let's keep it real here:
- the product should be renamed Stila Long-ER Wear Lip Color: as beauty consumers, we've been trained to think the words "long wear" means "it will stay on through food, drink and 8+ hours of rough & tumble". this product: not so much. if anything, its staying power is LONGER than a regular lipstick...but it's definitely no typical Long Wear product
- "Patent-Pending Polymers": i chuckle to myself every time i see the "P" word -- Polymers. after years and years of working in the beauty industry, i know that "Polymers" is a Product Development buzz word for "magic". if you asked me specifically what it was, i couldn't tell you.
- "Gloss"....maybe it's because i opted for the more matte finishes, but even the "creme" finishes I swatched...not so much gloss. if anything, it's a "satin" finish at best.
- you could use it as a lipliner...but a helluva unprecise one.
(holy crap, please excuse the horrible lip-drawing!)
despite these slightly misleading things....it's official: I'M OBSESSED WITH THESE LIPEES. why?
- i love that it's a Long-ER wearing vs. a true Long-Wear lipee. i mean, do you REALLY want something to be on your lips for 8+ hours? don't you wonder if that's toxic in the LEAST?
- the wear is SO incredibly comfortable - i was SHOCKED. it felt smooth, glided on effortlessly, and felt silky once on. did my lips feel HYDRATED? no -- nor did i expect them to. it's a MATTE lipstick, for crissake. (let's be real) but they were by far, one of the most comfortable wears i've experienced for a matte shade in a while.
- the colors were SO vivid and bright. honestly, i was really surprised to see these types of shades from Stila. (granted, i chose the 3 brightest shades in the line -- the others were the typical "white girl" shades of nudes & pinks...)
VERDICT: Seouldiva Says MOS DEF.